Monday, September 1, 2008

Hope

I hope this blog doesn't become too confusing to follow. The Magi's Journal will appear weekly. My own entries will be scattered between these.

In the U. S., Labor Day is considered the unofficial end of summer. Young readers will not remember this, but before the mid. 1980s, public school started right after Labor Day. That meant that family vacation time was over.

As a child, I always looked at autumn as a time of new beginnings. It was a fresh start with new teachers and classmates. It also meant new clothes, supplies, and a book bag. Though I am much older, when the leaves begin to fall and the days shorten, that sense of anticipation always returns.

I am trying to look at the U. S. Presidential election with the same sense of hope. I hope the Presidential candidates are good men with the best interest of all the people in mind.

Today there is hope in the gulf coast. Safety procedures in New Orleans are greatly improved from what was in place three years ago. Hurricane Gustov lost intensity and was downgraded to category 2. That is still a lot of wind, I know. I have ridden out a few hurricanes, myself. It seems that--in general terms--the worst might be over. Hopefully people throughout the gulf coast will return home and find that property loss will be less than expected.

No comments: