Thursday, September 25, 2008

Waggner

Gratitude

There is an old Biblical story where Jesus teaches that the person who is the most grateful is the person who was once was the most needy. I learned joy and gratitude from a throw away dog.

My son, Adam, and I were in formal wear, coming from an event in Memphis when we saw her. A well-lit gas station is where the emaciated, black Labrador Retriever, covered in ticks, was begging. She looked up at me with soulful brown eyes.

After questioning employees at the service station, Adam and I shoved the dog into the back seat of my car. We fed her, watered her, and introduced her to our spotted terrier, Chili Pepper.

Most animals fight baths, but not this dog. I hosed her down and removed the ticks. I am sure the process was painful. Rather than fight, the dog laid her wet head in my lap and gently put a paw on my leg. This animal was grateful for my care.

We all ready had a lap dog and a hedgehog. The last thing I wanted was this massive animal. While I called every "no kill" shelter in the phone directory, this dog was busy making a home in my back yard. She chased away the squirrels and left gifts of dead moles at the back door. This dog was filled with gratitude.

The instant she saw us, the dog wagged her tail with such joy she often knocked objects over. Adam named her Waggner.

After about 2 weeks it was clear that Waggner was ours. I resisted because my life was all ready complicated enough. A young Labrador Retriever is an active, high maintenance animal. I grew to resent being a caregiver to such a big dog.

"God, why do I have to put up with Waggner?" I prayed. "I didn't want to keep her. I was perfectly happy with the pets I all ready have. Am I supposed to learn something while I care for this dog?"

It took two years for Waggner to outgrow her destructive puppy nature. She settled down to become a loyal, faithful, loving pet. Waggner spent time in the wild and now she had a home. It didn't matter whether we left doors or gates opened, Waggner knew what the world had to offer. She had no desire to stray.

I knew I would always be welcomed home. Waggner followed me throughout the house, content to lay at my feet when I worked on the computer. She was afraid of thunder but long suffering with Chili Pepper's temper tantrums.

Waggner was about 8 years old when she died of liver failure. Later we heard news reports about tainted dog food and liver failure. The warning came too late for Waggner.

Throughout the illness that Labrador wagged her tail whenever we checked on her. Waggner truly taught me about joy and gratitude. I will always be thankful that I found her.

2 comments:

sue said...

sounds like waggner was so greatful.
today I went to met a friends girl at a bus stop, I took wally with me, the fire dept had opened up two fire hydrants on willow springs, the street we were to meet the bus. Wally had a gread ole time playing in the running water, jogging at first then trying to run, but had to stop because of a parked vehicle. He was in his glory. I took him up and down the street so he could play in the running water until the mean ole man had shut the fire hydrants off. but that man had fun watching wally play. I told the guy Wally was having a blast. while I was speaking to the man, wally laid right down in the water.
We do have a kiddie pool for the dogs and that is what wally usually does after a run around the yard with sophie, he will hop in the pool and lay down for a while.
isn't he cute.
I love the story of waggner. sounds like a great dog.

Anonymous said...

How sad Waggner died! This is a wonderful story, Toni. And it just so happens, Chicken Soup for the Soul is looking for such a story. Check it out: www.chickensoup.com. Go to the Submit a Story tab, then hit Possible Book Topics.

I bet they'll accept your story with tails waggin'!