Friday, September 12, 2008

Sisters

Things feel strange, with Aunt Linda's funeral arrangements and all. Our yearly family reunion was set for next week. Now, who knows what will happen?

It got me to thinking about my own sisters. Now, I have two brothers that I love, but relationships with sisters is very different. Women are complicated creatures.

Just like my mother's family, there are 3 sisters in my family. We are all three very different people. There are seven years between Diane and me. There are seven more years between Diane and Denise.

When I was little, I watched Captain Kangaroo. Diane got a steady dose of Sid and Marty Croft kids shows. Denise had Sesame Street--the before Elmo era. We were destine to be different, right from the start.

In my imagination I assume that I will be the first to pass on, since I do enjoy being the center of attention. Because I'm the oldest, I was always the first at everything. It was a burden. The normal things kids do is shocking to new parents. By the third child they have become numb.

Linda was the youngest sister in that generation. It made me think, I might not be the first to go. That thought really scared me.

Diane, Denise, and I have gone our separate ways, but holidays, vacations, birthdays, reunions bring us together. I can't, I won't imagine what it might be like if I couldn't see them, pass them an e-mail, or call them.

I need to give Diane an extra hug when I see her at the funeral. I need to pick out a nice card for Denise.


No comments: