Wednesday, September 10, 2008

A Better Place

I just received some sad news. The youngest of my aunts, Linda Tippitt, died. It was all quite sudden, unexpected. I was supposed to meet her in a couple of weeks, at a family reunion. I didn't even know she had gotten the flue.

I was closer, in age, to my aunt than to my own sisters.
Naturally I am reminiscing and memories are flooding my mind. Much of my family lived in the hills in middle TN. My grandmother's property was 45 minutes away from any town. Camden was on one end of the highway and Holladay was on the other. The countryside is beautiful there, with two state parks. I try to visit the area at least once a year.

I remember when Linda was in high school, getting ready for the senior banquet. My Grandmother designed and sewed a beautiful lacy formal gown for her. She looked like a queen when she left for the event.

Linda attended Holladay High School and was one of about a dozen in her graduating class. She eventually went on to nursing school. Linda never left her little community, though she did move into Camden to be near the hospital.

Over the years Camden has grown. Once life centered around the town square. Then the town got a Super Wal-Mart. Whenever Linda asked about my writing she would ask, "When are you going to get a book into Wal-Mart?" Now, if it should happen, that accomplishment will be bitter-sweet.

I am at that age where I know about as many people on the other side of life as on this side. I like to think that my beloved grandmother is a little happier in Heaven as each of her children join her there. Others might argue that point on some sort of theological grounds. One thing I do know is this, there is a part of Aunt Linda that is in a better place, better even than the beautiful hills of Tennesssee.


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Toni, I worked with your Aunt Linda about 20 years ago at the Camden Hospital. I left the hospital after 3 years, and then returned to work there again, part time, for the last 8 years. Linda was always very kind to the patients and her fellow workers. When I came to work she would ask me if I saw any "Bambi's" because I would talk about the deer that I would see frequently. When I would leave work she would tell me to watch out for the "Bambi's". Now I am sure that everytime I see a deer in my path I will think of Linda. I will miss her kind nature and words. My condolences on you and your families loss.

Lue Rollins R.N. Springville,Tn.

Unknown said...

I didn't know our Aunt well. My mother, Jewell, left TN before I was born. But I do have found memories of the few times I met her. She will be missed.

--
Andrew Lundgren, Thornton, CO.

sue said...

toni, I am sorry for your loss.
if there is anything we can do for you, please let us know.
sue and vic harmon