Monday, September 15, 2008

Magi Journal: Entry 3

Preparing for the Trip

Our caravan paused so we may water and rest the beasts of burden. This gives me time to add to my journal. Let me start by recording the way this trip began.

Often we heard rumors of "signs" here or there. An unexplained event called for our investigation. Examining the signs always proved disappointing.

There is much we did not understand about Beltheshazzar’s prophecies, or about the faith of the Hebrews, but we were faithful to the prophet’s words about a messiah and signs of the coming Hebrew king. Whenever we thought we had found the sign, we compared the clues with what Beltheshazzar taught us.

Many of the magi lived and died in frustration and disappointment. They waited their whole lives for a miracle they were destined to miss.

Others looked at each changing season as a potential message from the Creator. These people woke, each day with the expectation of wonder. Every act of nature, every star in the sky was a mystery, a potential revelation from the Creator, waiting to be discovered by humankind.

Time passed. Those who did not believe in Beltheshazzar, or the coming of the king, found our hope a source of humor. Despite their mocking, we persisted in our belief. We prepared for our journey.

Then one day, about a year ago, a thought came to my mind. I felt a strange revelation, that I should prepare my family for a future without me. I realized that I should be most vigilant. Each morning I awoke with great expectation. I made sure that my sons were aware of every aspect of our family’s businesses so they could continue to work without me.

“Why must we discuss business now,” Meshack, my oldest son, rejected my instructions. “You have been waiting all your life to go on some grand journey, but you have never even left the walls of this city.”

“I can’t explain why, buy I feel that my life is about to change,” I tried to explain. Though I owed them no explanation, I still wanted them to understand. “It is similar to the way I felt just before each of you was born. I knew that the day was coming soon. I felt a sense of excitement and knew that my life would never be the same again. That is how I feel now.”

“Will this trip change your life so greatly?” Meshack seemed in awe.

"This will be far more than a simple trip,” I replied, observing my son’s expression. In a lighter tone I added, “If nothing else, when I return, my boys will all be men.”

* * * * *
Scripture Meditation
Daniel 2:20-23



No comments: