Saturday, September 13, 2008

Texas Spirit

I do have a little of Texas in my blood. I've lived there twice. My son is a Texan. When I heard about Hurricane Ike, my mind returned to thoughts of Hurricane Alicia, a category 3 storm in the early '80s. It devastated Galveston and then hit Houston.

We lived in Harris County and our neighborhood was hit hard. We were flooded for days and the radio, our only contact with the outside world, warned us that the county was under a snake alert. We were without drinking water for 5 days and electricity for 7 days. --But we were Texan, independent.

Electricity was restored to the business area first, so people could return to work. Those who lost cars in the floods found other ways to work. People didn't smell very fresh until the water service was restored. Texans are tough, though. They are an independent breed.

Hurricane Ike is a powerful storm and there is a whole generation that doesn't even know about Hurricane Alicia. Still, I am confident you will all pull through the storm as an example to others. The nation is watching the Lone Star State. You are in our hopes. You are in our prayers.


No comments: