Monday, September 8, 2008

Magi's Journal-entry 2

A History of Waiting

We watched, waiting for it for generations. As a child, my father taught me to watch for a sign, just as his father taught him. My father said that, upon his death, it was my duty to take his place in our order of the Magis.

Ours is a cruel world, filled with inequality and inhumanity. People kill without fear of reprisal. The strong and powerful show no mercy toward the weak. There is a great longing in this world for change.

The Magis have devoted their lives to looking for the spiritual. We have devoted our lives to watching for the sign that would indicate the arrival of the one who would come to the world and bring justice.

What we know about this king was taught to us by a great prophet, who was himself a prisoner of war. This man, Beltheshazzar, known by his own people as Daniel, was a seer. He prophesied and feared only one God, the God of the Hebrews.

For all these generations we remained faithful to the task of watching the signs around us, including signs in the sky. Preparations were made for the journey to greet and worship the new king, wherever he is born.

I know how memories can fade and have chosen to chronicle this trip—our search for a new king. I hope to prove myself worthy to travel alongside my noble companions. This journal will help bring back to my family, and my people, a true and accurate account of our trip. This is my duty.

The sun is setting and though it is only dusk, we see it in the sky--the brightest of stars. We have slept very little, but the sign in the sky rejuvenates everyone in our caravan. Thus our journey begins.

* * * * *

Scripture for meditation: Jeremiah 17:7-8

No comments: