Thursday, September 18, 2008

Our Hedgehog, Sonic

Original name, huh? When my son took his Christmas money to the mall, Adam insisted on buying Sonic. The animal, covered with quills, was surprisingly cuddly.

I was foolish enough to believe that the employees at the mall actually knew how to care for the animals they sold. When I asked about a hedgehog's basic care, I was seriously misinformed. At another pet store I found a book on hedgehogs and was just beginning to learn about Internet search engines. We began to correct some of our mistakes.

Hedgehogs love mill worms. About once a week I brought that special treat home for Sonic. He instantly scooted out from under his box and sucked them down like spaghetti. He could be a very noisy little eater.

All parents know that a child's enthusiasm with a new pet lasts about a week. If the parent doesn't become the primary caregiver, the animal is a goner.

Since Sonic couldn't climb, I sometimes let him run about the linoleum kitchen floor at night. Despite what the pet store employee said, you can't train a hedgehog to stop being nocturnal.

That little animal could hold his own around creatures much bigger. My brother's cat wasn't fast enough to swat him. Sonic rolled into a ball and set his quills up quicker than the cat could pounce. One hiss from Sonic caused both our dogs to turn and run.

Sonic lived about 7 years, longer than the average hedgehog in captivity. It was a very hectic time in my life. Caring for Sonic made me slow down for a few moments each day. He made me smile, too. I enjoyed watching him run. I liked cradling him in my palms and he even learned to respond to my voice.

I walked Sonic in my flower beds, allowing him to dig up yummy insects and slugs. For him it was a breakfast outing. For me it was a way to conclude the day. These walks caused me to pause and wind down, to enjoy just sitting in the grass and watching the setting sun.

When I look back at that busy, busy time where I was overworked and under appreciated by a tyrant employer, I'm sure I accomplished much for the company. Now, it is all a blur. One thing I can remember clearly, however, is sitting in the grass and enjoying the sunsets.



1 comment: