Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Another Pet Story

Boo Boo

Boo Boo was the only purebred dog I have ever owned. He was a chestnut toy Pekingese pup--all attitude.

When I was a newlywed, we moved to a tiny house outside of Houston. Totally broke, I busied myself by growing houseplants. African Violets were my favorites.

One day I scolded Boo Boo for some minor offense. He stared at me with his round bulging eyes and loudly sniffed through his pug nose. I knew he was furious with me. Boo Boo strolled over to one of my prized plants and bit off a leaf. He carefully carried the leaf in his mouth, then spat it at my feet. What a gutsy little dog!

Boo Boo was always like that. It just seems that a purebred Pekingese is an animal with an attitude.

I have heard stories that the Pekingese was the emperor's breed and commoners weren't allowed to own them. The Pekingese wasn't even allowed outside China's Forbidden City. If that story is true, perhaps all that royal living accounts for the Pekingese's attitude.

I've met some people who could learn a thing or two from Boo Boo. Life is often unfair. There are times when you have to stand up for yourself. Sometimes asking for respect isn't enough. You have to insist that your boss, co-worker, or even family show you proper respect.

Unfortunately, if you tolerate poor treatment, there are people who will threat you poorly--again and again. Bullies will wear you down and weaken your spirit. You may even have to leave the person or situation all together, just so you can be happy again. It is worth it, though.

Boo Boo died in 1992. He kept his demanding attitude right till the end. I just couldn't help but respect that little dog.




No comments: