Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Chili Pepper

Does Not Play Well With Others

Not long after I moved into my first home, a friend had to get rid of her black and white spotted terrier mix, named Pepper. A Latino friend suggested that we name her Chili Pepper. That name stuck. Chili Pepper was my son, Adam's, pet. My students thought she looked a lot like the popular PBS terrier, Wishbone.

Chili Pepper was a lovable, well-mannered lap dog. As the only dog, she was the center of attention. She didn't dare tangle with the hedgehog and took great pains to avoid the prickly little animal.

After a year, Adam and I stumbled upon an emaciated black Labrador Retriever. Chili Pepper was startled when the stray ate her dog food. That was when we first discovered that Chili Pepper possessed a white hot temper. As years passed, her temper grew.

Chili Pepper was a great dog, but was also much like some of the students I taught in school. When evaluation time came around, I often checked a box on the report card that read: does not play well with others
.

Chili Pepper was prone to jealous fits of rage. She would often become so angry at the
Labrador that she would first bark, then yap more forcefully, and finally try to attack the big dog. The laid-back Labrador learned how to intervene. She would place a paw on Chili Pepper's little head and force it to the ground. Then she licked the dog's face until Chili Pepper stopped barking.

Still, Chili Pepper and Adam adored each other. The dog even died at Adam's feet. My son was so overwhelmed that I went ahead and buried the pup in the back yard by the flower garden. For days, the mournful
Labrador sat guard over the grave site.

No comments: