Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Missing Pets

Rusty, Sampson & Lost Sheep

There is a Biblical story called The Parable of the Lost Sheep. In the story, a shepherd cares for 100 sheep. One sheep wanders away. The shepherd is so concerned for this sheep that he leaves the 99 sheep to search for the lost one.

When I was about 8 years old, my dad was stationed by the Marine Corp. to a military base in San Diego. Mom and dad loaded up 4 children, 2 dogs, and a cat into 1 car and 1 truck. Across the country we went.

Somewhere around New Mexico, the orange tiger stripe cat, Rusty, escaped the hotel room and ran away. We spent the day in a strange town, searching for our lost cat. My brothers and I cried all the way to the border when we were forced to leave the lost pet behind. As insane as it was, we even convinced my mother to go back later to search for Rusty again. Rusty was gone forever.

In 1992, I lived in Murfreesboro, TN where I found Sampson. He was a pound puppy who had less than 24 hours before he would be put down. I made him mine. Sampson was a Shepherd/Lab. mix with a heart of gold.

I moved across the state and Sampson had to stay in my mother's backyard until I found a new home. The boy who mowed the lawn was careless and left my mother's back gate ajar. Sampson escaped. My mother called and visited all the animal shelters. I checked roads and back roads but never found him.

My heart was broken. My son's heart was broken. Though we searched and searched, Sampson was never found.

Over the years I've rescued and found homes for several animals. Each time I remember Sampson and Rusty. I hope someone found and cared for them, too.

I don't know much about shepherds or sheep. Still, when I remember the search for Rusty or Sampson, I get the gist of the parable.



No comments: