Saturday, September 6, 2008

Classic Movies

Last night I went to a renovated theater, built in the 1920s. During the summer, this theater plays classic movies on Friday nights. The massive movie house was packed with people waiting to see a movie they had viewed dozens of times before. Even the balcony was filled. It made me wonder, what is it about certain movies that causes people to pay to watch them time and time again?

I watched people mouth the words to Casablanca along with Humphrey Bogart, Ingrid Bergman, and Paul Henreid. People laughed as the same bits. They cheered with every twist and turn of the story, though nothing was a surprise.

I would like to be snooty and say that a have to be seen movie needs to be well made, clever, and well written, but that’s not always true. What’s completely lame to one person might strike a chord with another. That special movie does have to speak to basic human nature. It makes them want to relive the struggle and joy the movie brings. Each viewing is another adventure.

I usually love movies with more story and suspense than special effects. I want a flawless plot line and I like witty lead characters, too. Sometimes the older movies are the best.

It’s amazing, really. You can say certain phrases and people will instantly know the movie. Here are a few I thought of right off the top of my head.

We’re gonna need a bigger boat.

We’ll always have Paris.

We’re not in Kansas anymore.

As you wish.

As God is my witness, I’ll never go hungry again.

Every time a bell rings, an angel gets his wings

Love means never having to say you’re sorry.

Shaken, not stirred.

If you build it, they will come.

Toga, toga.

Go ahead, make my day.

--And for the geeks at heart—

Klaatu barada nikto

Take your stinking paws off me, you damn dirty ape.

Luke, I am your father!

I’ll be back.

No comments: