Sunday, December 21, 2008

Magi's Journal--Post 22

The Child

“This should be the home!” I couldn’t hide my excitement.

We gazed down from a hill to the modest earthen home. Outside was a woman, on her knees, weeding the garden. Underneath a cypress tree a young man carved a decorative design into a bench. Between the two, a small child played.


That boy looked like any other Hebrew child we had seen. The child glanced up, toward our caravan and even in the distance, I felt as though we made eye contact. Within was a sudden, overwhelming sense of awe. Without thinking, I slid from my beast and started walking down the hill to the family, barely aware that my companions were doing the same.


Malchiah whispered, “I believe this child is indeed, the one.”


I looked to my friend. His dark eyes were wide and his face was pale. Nearing the parents, he bowed his head, as though approaching royalty.


I glanced toward Zedekiah who followed Malchiah’s example. I did the same.


The husband seemed awkward. It was clear that the man was a mere artisan. He looked to be a carpenter of some sort and did not formally recognize our gesture of humility.


Birds cawed in the distance. A cool breeze rustled in the tree branches and brought with it the rich fragrance of the herbs from the nearby garden.


Moments passed. Perhaps we had not followed the customs of the Hebrews. As a sign of greater humility, we knelt on one knee, still not making eye contact with the family.


“Stand up,” the young carpenter finally said. “Who are you and why do you bow?”


We faced the carpenter, but continued to kneel. I searched the eyes of the carpenter and realized that he truly appeared confused by our behavior. The woman stood just behind her husband, holding the child tightly in her arms.


Then I looked into the eyes of the boy. Though he looked like any other child, there was a presence about him. I gasped faintly, feeling an instant communion that went far beyond words. I comprehended something, as though this child could offer me a refreshing drink of water after a long, long journey.


Again the young carpenter, Joseph, in his firmest voice demanded, “Stand up. Who are you?”


“We are Magi’s,” Zedekiah replied. Slowly we all stood. “We have come across the desert and mountains to worship the child king.”


“We bring gifts to show our good will,” Malchiah added, “gold to emphasize the royalty of the king. Frankincense represents that this boy will be a priest for his people. He most valuable gift of all is Myrrh. This is to say that the child will . . .”


I turned to a servant and commanded, “Hurry, bring this new king his gifts.”


We sat with the carpenter and he shared a strange tale of travels the couple made to Bethlehem. They even told us of the angel’s proclamation and of the shepherd’s visit after the birth of the child. For now the young couple felt it best to stay in Bethlehem.
I would have doubted their stories except that the child was there, sitting near us. I looked again into those bright eyes and felt as though there was wisdom there, far beyond his years. There was no doubt that our journey had come to an end.

* * * * *

Scripture Meditation:
I John 4:9

No comments: