Thursday, December 18, 2008

Magi's Journal--Entry 20


Bethlehem

The priests at Herod’s palace told us that Bethlehem was the birthplace of King David, of old. Many prophets, including our own Beltheshazzar, foretold that a king, greater than David, would come and bring deliverance to his people.

“It does not look like the home of a king,” Malchiah commented as he looked at the town before him. “How could this be the city of two great kings?”

The roads narrowed by the earthen structures on either side.

“It is truly a modest place,” Malchiah continued.

“Certainly not the place I would have chosen,” I agreed, noting the musty animal smells along the dirt roads.

“It is difficult to say which would be less desirable, the desperate poverty of Bethlehem, or the corruption and cruelty of the palace we just left,” Zedekiah added.

“Perhaps that alone is a sign that it is time for a new leader to come into our world,” I mused. “This world is a very dangerous place.”

Malchiah gave me a skeptical look. “Zachariah, do you really think that one child will make a difference in this world?”

“I don’t really know,” I confessed, in a quiet voice. “I have to believe that this child can.”

* * * * *

Scripture Reference:
Isaiah 53:1-3,5,6


No comments: