Sunday, December 14, 2008

Magi's Journal--Entry 17


Reflections

This land of the Romans is a hostile place. The political climate is tenuous in the best times. We must be quite cautions in all our dealings.

We may be near to our final destination. Jerusalem, the Holy City, would be the ideal place for the birth of a king. What will we find here?

“If we are looking for royalty, it seems reasonable to check the palace,” Malchiah suggested.

We agreed that this would be a logical idea and decided to camp outside the city gate. It would give us time to rest and prepare to meet with royalty.

“What if Herod knows nothing about a Jewish king,” Zedekiah asked.

“Then we have prepared him for the alliance he should eventually make,” I replied thoughtfully. “He should be pleased to be forewarned."

“--But what if he is not,” Malchiah challenged. “He is not known as a rational monarchs. Power and fear can be a dangerous combination.”

The thought was sobering, but we had a job to perform. This man, or his advisers, may have valuable information for us.

“I do not see that we have a choice. The course is laid before us. The result--no one can control,” I said with a sigh, realizing that our destiny must be fulfilled.

“Still, we should use all that we know about the art of flattery--er--diplomacy,” Malchiah advised. “If we conduct ourselves in just the right manner, we could come out of this with our lives.”

I smiled weakly at my friend’s dry humor. I was pleased to travel with this courageous companion. My faith is renewed when I think of how far we have traveled.

* * * * *

Scripture Meditation:
Hebrews 11:6

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hey Toni, nice journal. I am enjoying reading it. Check use of plurals though on 'monarch' here in Entry 17(?).