Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Magi Journal--entry 12

Surely Goodness and Mercy

Through the night we traveled. The valley walls greatly hid the lights of the night sky. Beasts stumbled and regularly the caravan came to a halt as we reloaded spilled equipment. I feared that we were crossing the valley like wounded animals--hurt and vulnerable. I was worried that somewhere among the shadows hid a predator--waiting to attack.

I gazed into the wall of darkness, aware of every sound around me--the snapping of every twig, the caw of each bird. With each noise I prepared for an attack.

Still the star loomed silently above us, guiding us through the valley. We could only see it and the path directly below our feet. All else was shadowed.

Only the star calmed my mind. It gave us light and guided our path. The darkness only promised us fear and danger.

I knew I must remember that the One who created the star was the same One who guides our path. We have only 2 choices; follow the path that He chose for us, or disregard everything we believe in.

Then it seemed as though the sky was opening up and becoming larger. The stars appeared to multiply and eventually moonlight streamed down upon us. We realized the walls of the canyon were no longer so steep.

Though there were still hills and rough roads ahead of us, I could feel the relief pouring over me, like the moonlight. As I looked toward my companions--inspecting their age-lined faces--I saw hints of relief.

Perhaps our travel was more than a journey of distance. It was a pilgrimage. In our dedication to the Maker of the Star, we set aside those things that seem sensible and safe for months, on a path to who-knows-where. The Maker protects us and leads us safely through the valley. God has delivered us from this place of despair. He has surely shown us mercy.



* * * * *

Scripture Meditation
Psa. 136:1


No comments: