Thursday, December 4, 2008

Magi's Journal--entry 13 a


Entry 13: Broken

In the opened country I felt more secure. We had crossed the harshest part of the desert. We even managed to elude thieves that were notorious for hiding in the mountains and attacking travelers. We would soon be near civilization with its own set of dangers. --But for the moment I felt good--peaceful.

We stopped to rest, check latches on our pack animals, and to stretch our legs. A pebble in my sandals caused me to shed my shoes. In a moment of vulnerability, while lacing a strap, I felt a sudden, paralyzing sting on the heel of my right foot. I jerked away and fell to the ground, screaming in agony.

Though blinded by the pain, I felt the presence of my companions. They rapidly fired questions at me--but I could not answer. I could not speak or even open my eyes. The stinging sensation was so great it seemed to have tentacles that pierced throughout my body.

“Scorpion!” I gasped.

“Lay still, brother.” Malchiah instructed in a voice that tried to sound soothing. Then he turned toward the others and shouted, “Get the medicinal herbs! Hurry!”

Every touch seemed to encourage pain. I felt that a flame from within was consuming me, yet I still trembled like a caged hare. The men threw a blanket over my trembling body.

A hand was on my shoulder and Malchiah spoke again. “We are going to mix a paste to pull the poison from the sting. It might hurt a --.”

My screams interrupted him. I cried out from the mere touch of the infected area.

“Oh God,” I thought. “How can I go on?”

--And as the pain heightened, I feared that this foreign land might be my final home. My children would be fatherless and I would never see my sons wed.

How could I have been such a fool to believe the creator that Belteshazzar so faithfully worshipped, would be interested in the travels of a few old men? Could it be that the amazing star served no particular purpose at all. I am now here to die, so far from home.

Zedekiah held my shoulders firmly to the ground as others worked to apply the paste to my injured heel. My shirt worked opened and I heard Malchiah whisper, “Look, he has a rash on his body.”

“The poison is getting to him,” Zedekiah’s voice betrayed his concern. In a calmer tone he continued, “Zachariah, are you having difficulty breathing?”

I was already gulping air and couldn’t reply.

“We must do something,” I heard the panic in Malchiah’s voice.

“Pray,” Zedekiah replied. He sounded so far away. Everything seemed to be fading--far--away. I was suddenly afraid of being left alone. I saw, heard, or felt nothing more for what seemed like a long, long time.

* * *

Do I smell freshly baked bread? --And my favorite stew? It felt so good to be resting in my own bed. I could her my family talk around me as I slept. I have desired this for so very, very long.

I continued to sleep.

* * *

I awoke in a dingy tent with the hard ground below me. I felt grimy all over. I was confused, discouraged, and broken.

I slept again.

No comments: