Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Magi's Journal--Entry 24


The Escape

Our plan was to camp outside Bethlehem and continue to interview this family. Then we would report our findings to Herod before returning home.

Evening fell on our campsite. It had become second nature to look toward the heavens when darkness came. Though far from home, we always found comfort in the star. This night, however, there was no star. Though we searched the sky, we knew that the star, our constant guide was gone forever.


I felt a deep emptiness inside, as if something great, a moment with destiny, had come to an end. Never had my life seemed so full of purpose as it had on this quest. I feared that it never would, again.


Sleep eluded me. My mind tried to sort through all that had happened. We had seen this king and had knelt at his feet. Now the star was gone. Though I felt a longing, I also felt a strange, sense of peace. We had accomplished the task set before me.


All that was left was to report to Herod and then return to our families.

* * * *


“Zachariah, Zachariah,” Zedekiah called, tugging at the flap door of my tent. “Wake up! Wake up!


He entered the tent and in a quieter voice whispered, “We are in danger!”


My head was clearing and I thought aloud, “What is it?”


“Herod! I had a dream and I am sure it is a warning!” Zedekiah’s low tone sounded imperative. “Herod lied. He doesn't want to worship the king. He plans to kill the boy.”


This sounded likely and I whispered, “What should we do?”


Zedekiah glanced past the flap of the cloth door, before replying, “I suggest we, first of all, keep our suspicions a secret. It is possible that anyone might betray us to Herod for a fee.


“I believe we should leave immediately, bypassing Jerusalem with as little attention as possible. We must distance ourselves from the city. Then, if someone in his palace does become wise to our betrayal, we will have a head start and be out of Herod’s reach.”


“At least we will have accomplished the task for which we were born.” Hours ago I thought our adventure had come to an end.


“I assure you that I don’t plan to give up without a fight.” Zedekiah replied in a firm voice. “I have a message for my people. We must tell everyone what we have learned about the Hebrew prophecies, that this world has an advocate.”


Zedekiah’s enthusiasm encouraged me. “We will push ourselves and our beasts. There is a good chance we will make it, too.”


“That’s the spirit, my friend.” There was a chuckle in Zedekiah’s voice as if he had accepted the challenge and I felt comforted. “We need to let Malchiah know our plans. We will survive this!”

* * * * *

Scripture Meditation:
Matthew 2:11a

No comments: