Friday, December 19, 2008

Magi's Journal--Entry 21


Finding the Child-King

How should we search for this baby? Where should we begin?

After our entourage’ paraded through the city we decided to set up camp on its other side. We hoped that letting others know of our presence would encourage cooperation.

A crowd quickly gathered along the sides of the street as we passed. As I looked into the multitude, I was acutely aware of mothers holding their young children. With each child I asked myself, “Is this the one?”

That evening the star lingered over Bethlehem. Its light shone pure in the otherwise dark sky. After basking in its glory all this time, I realized that our motivations had changed, becoming more pure.

When we started this journey, we traveled out of obedience. It was a responsibility that had been passed to us from generation to generation.

We also traveled out of curiosity. Even old men like me, search for one last adventure.

We also wanted to share our knowledge with the others.

Now our quest has changed. I cannot explain it, but the journey and all its hardships have influenced my thinking. I am no longer the person that I once was.

I am told that water from an artesian spring is the purest of water. Rainwater lands on the porous ground and it soaks into the dirt. The waters and its impurities are filtered through the layers of soil and sand. When the water finds its way back to the surface in artesian pools, it is fresh and drinkable. The travel through the rocks and soil changes the water, makes it pure.

It was the travel to Bethlehem that has changed me--us--all of us. At this moment, I can’t even say what that change is.

*****

“Sir, we have found a midwife,” a young servant called to me. “Perhaps she has some information for you.”

A midwife--of course! Our search might finally be near an end.

* * * * *

Scripture Meditation
2 Corinthians 5:17


No comments: