Monday, December 22, 2008

Magi's Journal--entry 23


The Mission of the Messiah

Reluctantly, we returned to the campsite, our minds filled with wonder. This child, with his pensive expression, never left my thoughts. What knowledge was hidden behind those bright eyes? What was his gift to the world?

The next day we returned to visit the home of the carpenter. We spoke of the child and Joseph talked with us about Hebrew prophets of old; King David, Micah, and Isaiah. We told Joseph what we knew of Beltheshazzar, whom he knew as the prophet, Daniel.

I watched the young king's mother. Every minute her eyes were on the boy as she silently listened to our conversation. Her dark eyes occasionally shone with wonder. More often they seemed sorrowful.

When Mary walked outside to the garden, I dismissed myself for a breath of air. I found the woman working with her fragrant herbs, though she appeared to be in deep meditation.

I hesitated to address the young woman, knowing that her customs forbade such boldness. My quest for knowledge, however, was too overpowering.

“Madam,” I humbly began. “May I ask, what is it that disturbs you so?”

“You don’t know?” She seemed surprised.

I nodded.

“It is in the prophecies.” Her voice was quiet. I saw that her lips trembled and eyes moistened with tears. She paused, fighting to keep her composure. Then she spoke again. “My son, the child I adore, is just who you say he is. You do rightly to worship him."

“The prophets said that the Chosen One will be a man of sorrow and will be rejected by many. His own people will despise him and he will be rejected because of who he is. I do not understand how this can be. I only want to protect him.” She put trembling fingers to her forehead and could speak no more.

Could she be telling the truth? What purpose would be served for this child to suffer such a fate? I longed to say something to comfort this woman, but was at a loss for words.

My thoughts traveled to my own wife. She mourned every cut and scrape our children received. She feels each struggle our children faced.

“I have only recently learned what it means to follow the path Jehovah has chosen for us. I do understand that obedience pleases God. You must ask your Jehovah to help you bare this burden. He will give wisdom you need to parent this child,” I finally said. The words were weak, but it was all I could offer.


In the past few days I have stood in the presence of two kings. One powerful king is known and feared because of his great brutality. This woman says the second king will be a suffering servant. I wonder which king will be considered the greatest.

* * * * *

Scripture Meditation:
Daniel 7:13a-14

No comments: