Friday, November 28, 2008

Thanksgiving leftovers


Sigh!

I always feel so lazy the day after Thanksgiving. Thanksgiving is filled with cooking, visiting, eating and washing dishes. No wonder I'm tired the next day! The only thing I want to figure out on the Friday afterwards is, what do I do with the leftovers.

BAD IDEAS

It is very important that you do not feed pets certain Thanksgiving leftovers.

1. Do not give bones to your pets. They can splinter and damage internal organs.
2. Onions, garlic, onion powder, and garlic powder is not good for cats.
3. Grapes and raisins can cause acute renal failure. In some breeds it can cause complete kidney shut down.
4. Dark chocolate is toxic to dogs.
5. Most nuts are also bad for dogs.

GOOD IDEAS
1. Mix some of that leftover cranberry sauce with cream cheese to spread over an English muffin or bagel at breakfast time.
2. A good soup can be made from leftover turkey--cut in cubes, chicken stock, sauntered onions, and--if you have it--a little cooked onions and peas. Let them simmer together and add some noodles, or dumplings. Spice to taste.
3. There is always the standby, turkey and cheese burritos, turkey omelets, or the usual turkey sandwiches.

Have a restful day.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yummmm....

You make me hungry. We were alone yesterday so went to a restaurant, which was fine, but now, no leftovers! Guess I'll have to roast a small turkey for ourselves this weekend.

I really enjoy your blog. Elaine

Toni Mabry said...

Thank you for your comments.

My sister and her husband live in Japan. They usually roast Cornish game hens for Thanksgiving--but I don't think you would have leftovers with those, either.