Sunday, November 23, 2008

Simple Holiday Recipes


Many of you in the U. S. are putting the finishing touches to your Thanksgiving menu. Some of you out of the country are all ready gathering recipes for your Christmas dinner or trying to find something for your Christmas parties.

Let's face it. We all live busy lives. We like good food, but most of us don't have a lot of time to give to the preparation of a meal.
Here are two side dishes that you can throw together rather quickly. The first is one I often put together and people always like it. I ate the second at a Thanksgiving get-together yesterday and liked so much I decided to make it for my family get-together.

Fruit Salad Ambrosia

Whipped topping--Cool Whip or another brand
Variety of fruit--canned or fresh or a variety of both
shredded coconut--optional
chopped walnuts or pecan--optional

I like to buy the canned tropical fruit mix and add chopped fresh fruit--bananas, apples, grapes, and so on. I mix these with the whipped topping. If I am with a group that enjoys nuts and coconut, I add these. You can be creative. Pop it into the refrigerator until time to serve. In a matter of minutes you have a tasty side dish.


Cranberry Sauce Salad

1 large package of cherry Jello
1 can of cranberry sauce
2 c. boiling water
1 (20 oz.) can crushed pineapple (drained and chilled)

Mix Jello in boiling water. Add cranberry sauce, blend well. Fold in pineapple and pour into a mold or bowl. refrigerate.

I hope these recipes simplify your Thanksgiving or Christmas.

May you truly remember that our time on this Earth is limited and precious. Take the time to tell someone you love them.

. . . if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things.
Philippians 4:8 KJV


2 comments:

Lorrie said...

Thanks for the recipes Toni! I hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving :)
Blessings galore and I pray your job seeking is soon successful!

Toni Mabry said...

Thanks for the prayers and I wish you a happy Thanksgiving, too.