Sunday, November 16, 2008

Shopping


I was shopping yesterday when I came across some coffee mugs I had to buy.

I hate those cups and saucers that come with a new set of dishes. They are always so tiny--some say petite--that I can't cozy up under a warm afghan on the couch with a satisfying drink of coffee or tea.--So the dainty cups and saucers are relegated to a back drawer in the kitchen.

The four mugs I purchased were retro, with earth tone colors and an art deco design. Drinking from these mugs reminds me of a different era, when a coffee shop brought to mind characters from a Micky Spillane novel instead of the cast of Friends.

I never used to drink coffee, even after the Starbuck's explosion. Then I went on a mission trip to Brazil. Strong coffee was everywhere, served in disposable plastic cups, about the size and shape of a shot glass. That was a powerful brew!

When I returned home, I felt exhausted for days. Then I got the idea that a cup of coffee might be the pick-me-up I needed. I bought a grinder and coffee pot. I've been a coffee drinker ever since.

I occasionally treat myself to a cup from one of those specialty coffee shops, but mostly make my own. I do splurge and sometimes buy the flavored creamers or grind my own beans. Closer to Christmas I will share some blends and favorite flavors that you can make at home.

As the cashier wrapped up my new mugs I joked that coffee just seems to taste better when it's served from a favorite mug. Most of you probably agree.


No comments: