Sunday, November 9, 2008

Magi's Journal--Entry 9

Water! Is there a word that sounds more wonderful! Because of this trip, water and life have come to be the same thing for me.

We scrambled to the stream and drank the cool, sweet water. After this, we watered the animals and bathed ourselves. It was the most wonderful thing that has happened to us on the trip, thus far.

To feel dirty, filthy and then to have fresh, cool water washing over our bodies was indescribable joy. Then we slept the most refreshing sleep of the entire journey.

That night we awoke and went about our chores. The men reluctantly began to take down the tents.

“Wait,” I called to our guide. “Stop what you are doing!”

“What is it?” He spat back without masking his irritation. I had infringed on his domain.

“I want to save everyone the trouble of packing,” I replied, coolly. “We aren’t going anywhere tonight.”

“What are you talking about,” the guide sounded defensive. “I know my job and you do not need to be wasting our time.”

“Look,” I persisted, pointing toward the sky. Though still early in the evening, the brightness of the star was clear. “This star has not moved since last night. I don’t think it will move either.”

Our guide stared into the sky for a long time, considering my comments. “I believe you are right,” he finally conceded. “That is very good for us because we have repairs to make and the animals could use a rest.”

“I can’t imagine a better place for us to rest either.” I left our guide to spread the word throughout the camp.


* * * * *

Scripture Meditation: Is. 40:30


No comments: