Sunday, November 2, 2008

Palin, Media, and Political Correctness--Part 2


As you know, I wrote yesterday from the heart. I am a woman who fought hard as a single mother to provide a home for my child. I know what living with a double standard is like.I know what it is like to be denied a job because of my sex. Maybe that is why I was so encouraging to have someone like Palin as a role model for women. I was hopeful that things were improving. Palin wasn’t a woman born into Kennedy style wealth, but she was able to run for political office anyway.


Then people who preach equal rights—but obviously don’t practice what they preach—use sexism and misogyny to drag her down. I found the Obama/wink commercial highly offensive and wondered if I was the only person in America who felt this way. A search on the Internet proves that I’m not. Democrats as well as Republicans are speaking out about this affront to women.


I would like to present you with some comments about the Obama/Palin Wink Commercial. These comments are taken from people who know far more about political issues than I. Some see the Obama Campaign’s sexism as a trend that first showed itself in the primary against Clinton.


Perhaps this is more of a character flaw than a trend.

Prameela Bartholomeusz, a member of the Democratic Party's platform committee: "I am once again stunned at the personal and sexist attacks by the Obama campaign against Gov. Palin. This latest ad is sexist and offensive. ... Sen. Obama never spoke up against sexism during the primary season, and is not speaking out against misogyny during this phase of the election season -- he is contributing to it."

Stephanie Bressler, a Hillary Clinton supporter, University of Scranton women and politics professor: "It's a sexist example of reducing a woman to an object - a wink - and denying her a voice. Her lips are actually moving, but she's not allowed to be heard."

Shelly Mandell, president of Los Angeles chapter of the National Organization for Women, called the ad "sexist and demeaning to women. These tactics started with Hillary Clinton and continue, growing even more disgusting with Gov. Palin. I was a Hillstar for Hillary and an avid supporter. Trashing two women clearly in a sexist manner in one election is an outrage and must be identified and stopped."

Judy Singleton, co-chair of Indiana Women for McCain, called the ad "an affront to talented women everywhere. To imply that Gov. Palin doesn't understand economics because she's pretty and winks is ridiculous."

My source for these quotes is The Dallas Morning News.

No comments: