Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Signs


I am a sci-fi fan. I like true sci-fi much more than than sci-fi/fantasy blended. I am a purist that way.

My son and I were watching a sci-fi double feature last weekend, a couple of movies I've watched dozens of times. I was surprised at how the M. Night Shyamalin's movie, Signs, really seemed to speak to me. I can't get the movie out of my mind.

There is a scene where the two main characters, brothers, are watching the TV and trying to find more information about crop circles and alien sightings. The younger brother asked the older, who was once a minister, if this was the end of the world.

The older brother says there are two types of people. One type believes that everything is a matter of luck, that life is a series of random events, with no reason or greater purpose. They will see these events as the end of the world.

The second group sees miracles and signs--reason and purpose. They don't believe they face problems alone. Those people won't see these events as the end of the world.

There have been numerous anxious moment during the past 6 months of my life. I walked away from a good paying job to teach in a small private school, but was laid off when enrollment declined. I was totally unaware that the economy would take such a downturn. I wasn't even told that the decision to lay me off had been made till it was too late to find another teaching job. I have spent months trying to make contacts, to little avail. I have had potential employers string me along, even after positions were all ready filled and there was no chance I would be hired.

During this time I've drained my savings--and financial security. I've been concerned about making mortgage payments. Though I will soon be working at a new job, I will be earning a dangerously low salary with no benefits.

As I watched that movie, the tears began to flow. The former minister asked his brother, "What kind of person are you?"

If I looked at the chain of events this last 2 years as simply bad luck, I would be crushed. I don't know if I could be strong enough to take blow, after blow, after blow. I might think it was easier to give up and go on welfare.

--But I have tried to stay focused and believe there is something out there for me. There is a reason and purpose for what has happened. I don't know where this path leads, just that I am to follow it.

Like the characters in the movie Signs, I'm confused and don't understand what is going on in the world around me. Like the younger brother in the movie, I am seeking the signs and am comforted in knowing that I am not going through all of this alone.


2 comments:

Rita Gerlach said...

Hi Toni,

Thanks for joining Stepping Stones. I've been journaling at my InSpire blog about the production of my novel, the reason being so writers who are not yet published can see what goes on behind the scenes from contract to release, from the editing stages, book cover, and final proof. It's been great fun!

It's good to see you. I hope all is going well with the e-books.

Rita

Toni Mabry said...

Thanks. I am still trying to sell books the traditional way, though. I have just started contacting agents, but haven't gotten any replies, yet.

I am so glad things are working well for you.