Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Getting Ready

I have had this week to get things ready to start my new job. I had some auto work done. Remember, a woodland creature decided to build its nest on my warm engine?

Now I am getting ready to have surgery done on Dixie Belle. She has a tumor that the Vet said was benign. I was unable to do the surgery until I got back to work.

This has really got me to thinking. Shouldn't there be some help for families who took on the care of a pet during good economic times, but are now struggling economically? The humane society in our city does give out one 20 lb sack of dog food per month, to needy families. Of course for me it is almost as expensive to drive across town to pick up the dog food, but I am sure this service is helpful to others.

My needs were much more serious. I have a dog that needs expensive surgery. Both dogs need their yearly shots, check ups, and heart worm medicine. A year ago these would not have been burdensome, but now it is almost overwhelming. I am sure that there are other people who are in the same situation as me. It seems as though organizations such as the Humane Society or PETA, that really loves animals would have addressed this--though PETA really lost a lot of respect after the Hurricane Katrina fiasco.

I will let you know how things are going with Dixie Belle. She will really be on my mind a lot for the next few days.

No comments: