Sunday, February 8, 2009

Manna

Manna. Most of us know the story from the book of Exodus, about the little flakes of bread from Heaven. God used the manna to care for the Hebrew people as they traveled through the wilderness. It was also a way to teach His people how to trust Him. Even though God made provisions, the people still complained. They had a lot to learn.

I have been going through a wilderness in my life, too. I lost a job I enjoyed and existed on unemployment for 6 months. Potential employers yanked me about. Several of them lied to me without even blinking. Then, I finally found a job. It was not quite what I expected, barely enough money to cover the mortgage, but this may be the manna that sustains me until the economy recovers. That’s why I’ve decided to focus on the positives that this job offers.

Here’s positive #1. Picking up and caring for children at the daycare is much more physical than I thought. My arms, neck, legs, thighs, and rump are sore from bending, lifting, and rocking toddlers.

As a teacher, I used to stand and walk about the classroom so I was tired by the end of the day. Daycare work is much more physical. I am now more active than I used to be. That is very positive.

Positive #2. I am working through meal times and take my breaks much later. That doesn’t sound so good, but I have managed to lose the 8 pounds that I put on while I was unemployed.

Maybe working at this job will make me a healthier person. Perhaps I needed some time away from my former job so I could become a little more fit.

I can hear people groaning and saying that I am grasping at straws. I am trying to apply purpose to a random situation. Well, that’s the science teacher in me. I know there are no random acts.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Maybe I should've found a "Positive Attitude" award for you!

I pray everything goes well for you, Toni!

Toni Mabry said...

I'm trying to do my best.