Monday, February 23, 2015

FACING CHALLENGES



The past few months have been challenging. I've never been very athletic, but I've always been able to get around. At the moment, I'm recovering from an episode of sciatica. It's left me in pain that has affected both my sleep and ability to walk.

As I go through an average day at work or home, I think about where I'm walking and obstacles to reaching my destination. I worry about steps, curbs, long hallways at school, uneven playgrounds, and parking lots.

For the past week weather has not been good. That means that icy, wet, or slippery sidewalks have kept me inside. It's as if  I'm surrounded by literal stumbling blocks.

After two months I started to get discouraged and needed a change in attitude.

All those positive thinkers talk about looking at adversities and thinking about them as opportunities. I'm not too sure how to do this. I do try to regularly visit the YMCE and each time I increase my time exercising on the elliptical machine to encourage bending joints. I spend more time in the swimming pool, exercising my back and legs.

The ice storm threw another obstacle to my exercise program. Fortunately, I was able to find an exercises on-line to tide me over till TN gets a thaw.

I try not to think of the length of a hall or the height of stairs before I walk them. Instead, I wait till I have completed an errand (crossing the Walmart parking lot, getting my prescription, and returning to the car) and think about how well I accomplished the task. Staff at the schools where I work have noticed my improvements.

It is a slow process, but the obstacles are becoming less. I have moments that are setbacks, especially during the morning or in the late evening. Looking at the tasks I've completed as accomplishments helps me see the progress I'm making.

I am a person of faith. Faith, prayer, and gratitude helps during discouraging moments.

It's always important for us to recognize progress we have made. Be kind to yourself. Focus on progress you've made, too.


No comments: