Monday, February 16, 2015

CARING FOR OTHERS





From time to time I might post examples of people who are positive influences, as I did with the crossing guard who shouts blessings to drivers. Another dear friend, Becky, frequently posts on my Facebook news feed.

I used to see Becky every Sunday, but these days getting to church is far more complicated for her. She's a caregiver to her mother with Alzheimer Disease. It is difficult to reverse roles, the child becoming the parent.  

Becky's insights are always so positive. I've begged her to keep a journal so that she can, someday create a book that will be inspirational to other caregivers.

Periodically, Becky lets us into her world, like the time she came to church with a shiner, a gift from her mother. There are also times when her mother calls Becky cruel names and throws things at her.
Becky's response? She often talks about how she hates Alzheimer's. She doesn't blame her mother. She blames the disease.

This reminds me of something I learned when I was in Al-anon. I often heard people talk about hating the disease instead of the alcoholic.

I remember what people at church used to say. "Hate the sin. Love the sinner." 

Perhaps we would all get along better if we could see people as people--separate from their problems, disease, or shortcomings.


No comments: