Friday, October 10, 2008

Magi Journal--Entry 6

Who Do We Seek?

The sun was in the evening sky when I awoke. I knew I should try to sleep more, but longed to feel the sunshine on my face.

As I wandered through the campsite I could feel the hot ground through my sandals. The air was dry and I was thirsty. Then I saw 2 of my companions, Malchiah and Zedekiah, sharing a flask of water and some conversation. I welcomed their company.

“Zacheriah! "Come join us,” Zedikiah gestured him to come closer. Malchiah held the water-skin in my direction to offer a drink.

“I suppose I'm not the only one who is restless this evening,” I took the water-skin. After a long refreshing drink, I added, “the land is so vast and lifeless. It is like we are the only people left on Earth.”

“The guides say the terrain will soon change,” Zedekiah replied, then added, “We should all be aware of the danger.”

“Though we have all the authority of our nation and, perhaps, even a divine calling, there are fools who would challenge our authority. We must be shrewd in our dealings with any strangers,” Malchiah warned.

I nodded in agreement. There was a silence as we watched people stir about the campsite. I spoke slowly, almost to myself, “What do you think we will find when we reach the end of our journey?”

“I have wondered about that myself,” Malchiah said, thoughtfully. “There is a king being born, perhaps this very night. How will this child be different from any other? How will we even recognize him?”

“The prophecies will lead us to him,” I spoke to reassure myself.

Malchiah gave and odd grin and said, somewhat sarcastically, “Yes, the prophecies! See where they have gotten us, thus far!”

We stared at him for a moment, stunned. Malchiah quickly added, “Don’t mind me. I am just a little weary of all this traveling.”

Zedekiah gave Malchiah a long stare before he spoke. “I keep wondering what kind of man this child will become. I try to think of what Belteshazzar told our forefathers.”

“In so many ways the prophecies of Beltheshazzar are very obscure. He saw the future in dreams, the warring nations, and cruel leaders brought to justice by a single man. How could that be?” I asked.

Zedekiah interrupted, “Belteshazzar told of the last days of our world and how it will be brought under the control of an evil leader. This king will fight that evil.”

Malchiah shook his head. I want to know what conditions will surround this child. Do these parents know how important to the world their child is? Will he be born knowing his destiny? If he does--how should we approach him?”

“You are very practical,” I said, with a chuckle. “Perhaps part of our mission is to help confirm for his parents what they already feel in their hearts--that they have a child destine for greatness. They may already realize how important he is to their people--and perhaps--all people.”

Until heard myself actually saying those words, I had not understood the part we might be playing in this mission. From their silence, I saw that my friends had not had not considered this either.

“A man of peace will engage in a war against evil,” Malchiah laughed again at the irony.

“--But the result will be a kingdom of peace and prosperity. Imagine the prosperity the world will know when corruption is put to an end!” Zedekiah did not try to hide his enthusiasm.

The azure sky was giving way to a fiery burst of color as the sun moved into the horizon. The dark hills around us seemed to contrast with the orange sky.

The crew was already loading the tents. Supplies were securely fastened to the pack animals. In the distance we heard the howls of the jackals. We would soon resume our quest.

* * * * *
Scriptures for meditation:

Daniel 7:14
Isaiah 9:6


No comments: