Saturday, October 25, 2008

Carrot Cookies

I seldom bake. Most of my baking occurs between the months of October till New Years Day. Since it is almost Halloween, I decided to try a distinctively orange recipe. Now, I am not even going to pretend that it is healthy, but it might provide a new way to give your children their roughage. They might even enjoy mashing the cooked carrots.

My son, 24, just ate one cookie and went back for a second. That's a good sign. I don't like iced cookies but will add the recipe for the frosting anyway.

I have had this recipe for ages. I think it come from either the Angel Food website or Cooks.com. Both are great sites. This is an interesting cookie, not overly sweet.

Carrot Cookies

3/4 c. butter
1 c. sugar
1 c. cooked, mashed carrots
1 egg
1 3/4 c. flour
1 tsb. baking powder
Pinch of salt
2 tsp. vanilla or lemon juice.

Mix together butter, sugar, carrots, and eggs. Sift together the dry ingredients. I'm lazy so I just used self-rising flour and left off the salt and baking powder. Add either the vanilla or the lemon juice to the mixture. Drop by the teaspoonful on lightly greased cookie sheets. Bake at 350 or 375 degrees for 12 to 15 minutes.

Frosting
juice of one orange (strained)
2 tbsp. melted butter
1 1/2 c. powdered sugar

I am thinking about trying this recipe again, but substituting the cooked carrots with dried cranberry (cran-raisins). I think that would make a nice holiday cookie.




No comments: