Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Autum and the Senses

There is something about the transitional period of autumn that totally awakens the senses. There is the obvious visual beauty; fields of goldenrods, cotton, pumpkins, and rolls of harvested hay. If you are not in the country, colorful garden mums and pansies signify that cooler weather is coming. Keeping the golden leaves swept off the driveway is almost impossible.

For allergy suffers, the scents of the season may be troublesome--especially the smell of ragweed and decaying leaves. On the positive side, there is also the smell of traditional autumn foods; pumpkin bread, cranberry and apple crisps, and a multitude of cookies and pies.

Hmmm, I guess smells and tastes can go together. --Because its traditional, I love all things to do with pumpkins and cranberries during October and November. I'm dying to try some new recipes. One is for Ginger Pumpkin Soup and another is for Butternut Squash Soup. If they are good, I will have to share them with you.

Strolling in the yard or sitting on the deck has become enjoyable once again. The sticky air is gone and I have pulled the sweaters out of storage.

There is nothing so relaxing as listening to the slow pattering of rain on a cool autumn morning when you have no place to go. I know I must savor all of this for as long as I can. All too soon the trees will be bare, squirrels will be burrowed and maybe there will be some snow on the ground. Autumn just doesn't last long enough.

1 comment:

Lorrie said...

Yum! Both recipes sound delicious Toni. And I agree, Autumn does not last long enough ~ it's my favorite season.

Off I go to the kitchen now. See what you've done!