Tuesday, March 17, 2015

THE LITTLE THINGS WE DO




Character is shown when you are generous to people who may never be able to return your kindness. Character is how you treat the vulnerable. It is a mother caring for children or an adult mentoring a youth. Or maybe it is shown by Karen, the lifeguard who works at the YMCA on Saturday afternoons.

I am a member at my local YMCA and right after Christmas had some difficulty walking. I had to exercise at home before I could even return to the gym.

What I really wanted was to exercise at the YMCA pool. The warm, salty water would be soothing to my achy muscles, but more important, exercising in that water would greatly enhance my recovery. It was weeks before I was steady enough to walk down the steps of the pool to get into the water or surefooted enough to even venture into the damp, slippery pool area. I was afraid of a fall on the concrete or maybe getting a cramp while swimming. 

A wave of shame overpowered me the first time I walked into the pool area. A lifeguard, Karen, approached as I grappled with the handrail while easing into the pool. She made small talk until I was safely in the water. 

The water was liberating and I could exercise in a way I couldn't otherwise. Still, I quickly grew tired and could only swim a few laps. Karen was kind enough to give me some water weights so I could exercise my arms while wading back and forth in the deep water, getting the exercise I needed. 

When I finished, Karen met me at the steps. She allowed me the independence of walking up and to a nearby bench and we chatted. I knew she wanted to make sure I was able to walk to the dressing room, but still needed to rest.

I mentioned feeling vulnerable and embarrassed. She was so kind and encouraging that I soon felt at ease. What could have been a humiliating event was pleasant because of her kindness. Because of her, I continued to come to the pool to exercise.

If you asked her, she might say she was only doing her job. She might not think her kindness was anything out of the ordinary. Good people are like that.

No comments: