Thursday, March 5, 2015

CASTING YOUR NETS INTO THE WATER



 I want to share this story because I have heard it myself several times this week. When I hear a story repeatedly, I get to thinking that God might be trying to tell me something.

The story begins with Jesus teaching a crowd along the river, in Galilee. The crowd pressed so close that Peter, a fisherman, allows his boat to be used by Jesus. Jesus climbs in and continues to teach.

Perhaps as a way of thanking Peter, when he gets out of the boat, Jesus instructs his friend to cast his nets into the water. Peter responds that it is the wrong time to catch fish, but if Jesus said to do it, he would obey. As it turned out, Peter had to call for help because the catch was so great.

Sometimes I think I'm like Peter. Jesus gives him a blessing, but he argues and says, "Thanks, but that isn't the way things work." If Peter hadn't put his net, he would have never known what he'd missed.

How many things have I missed out on because I hesitated? How many blessings have I missed because of my indecision? 

I have voices in my head, loud voices that tell me that I can't do things that others do. They tell me I'm not talented enough. I'm not athletic enough. I'm not creative enough. I don't have the right connections. I'm too old and the time for change has left me behind. 

Life doesn't have to put up roadblocks for me. I do that all by myself.

My son isn't like that. He frequently has the courage I lack. As I watch him, I think I should be braver. I need to walk out on faith more often. I need to cast my nets and stop missing out on the blessings. 

I hope you will do the same.


No comments: