Saturday, March 14, 2015

KEEP MOVING




Those who follow my current blog posts know I've been doing a little rehabbing. It's going well and I am walking short distances without a cane.

Even before that, my son and I got a family membership at the local YMCA. It was convenient, only a few minutes from my home. Had I realized what a membership had to offer, I would have joined long ago.

I remember being nineteen-years-old and taking my first college physical education course. The coach talked about how the body hits its peak in your twenties and by thirty, without proper maintenance, it is on a downhill journey. 

"Hah," I thought. "Not me." 

I was sure I would be young forever--effortlessly.

Many, many years later I was discussing this matter with Dr. Scott Morris of The Church Health Center in Memphis, http://www.churchhealthcenter.org/ . He said something I never really considered. Dr. Morris said that God created our bodies for movement.

I never really thought about it like that. If God created our bodies for movement, why was I acting like a couch potato?

I have lots of excuses, some legitimate, some are not.

The bottom line is, I feel better after going to the gym. Yeah, I'm sweaty and sore and all that, but there are benefits, too. There are those endorphins running through my body, almost immediately making me feel more happy. I sleep better at night and feel more rested the next day. Of course, there are the health benefits, a stronger body, stamina, range of motion, and if one's lucky, you'll lose a pound or two.

I have more to say about exercise and the YMCA, but that's all for today.


No comments: