Sunday, January 30, 2011

RUNNING WITH MACHINE GUNS.

I just caught one of my favorite movies on TV today, The Untouchable. Yea, I know. It is a movie with graphic violence and profanity. I didn't say it was a family movie and it is definitely not a movie for children. Edited versions of the movie clean up a lot of the blood, but the time period was an ugly time and people were brutally killed by Capone's men. They bled and died.

--But this blog isn't about censorship.

There is a scene in the movie where Elliott Ness must send his family away, for their own safety. All the Untouchables; Ness, Malone, Stone, and Wallace are standing in the dark street, armed with machine guns, discussing how they wish to bring down Al Capone. After discussing the plan they, almost jubilantly, run down the street, machine guns in hand, ready for battle.

There is something about that scene. In one moment Ness is terrified for his family, but then he regroups and is ready to fight the enemy. There is significance to the scene. Ness, Malone, Stone, and Wallace have a purpose.

As I watch, I envy them. I want to have significance to my life. I want to have purpose.

I want to run with a machine gun.

No comments: