Sunday, February 6, 2011

STILLNESS

I am a person who believes in action. If there is a problem, I want to solve it. I don't want to wait till tomorrow. In some cases that is a good thing. On other occasions I just make a mess of a situation.

I have had 3 bad years in a row; deaths, the economy, a loss of a job I enjoyed, health issues and no health insurance. I am underemployed and have serious financial problems. I have prayed and prayed. I have begged God and advised Him as to how I would like for my problems to be resolved.

My Sunday school teacher, Al, advised me to meditate on this scripture: Be still and know that I am God, Psalm 46: 10. I am not really a be still kind of person, but I agreed.

I remembered this being a specifically important passage, so I decided to the whole chapter of Psalm 46. This may sound strange, but while I was in my private Bible study, the words seemed to run together, to be garbled. I focused on verse 10, but the rest didn't speak to me.

A week passed but my mind kept returning to the passage and my conversation with Al. I returned to Psalm 46. This time the scriptures opened up to me and I instantly remembered the powerful passage. It is broken into 3 thoughts, all focusing on the God who is vastly powerful, but is also a refuge for those who trust in Him. He is with us in the powerful earthquake and He is the One who brings peace. This time I found the passage very comforting.

Also brought to my mind was a popular scripture: Isaiah 40: 31 But those who wait on the Lord shall renew their strength: They shall mount up with wings like eagles, They shall run and not be weary. They shall walk and not faint.

When I first started my exercise program I thought of this passage--a little sarcastically--since I could barely walk the track--even once--without being left gasping for breath. As my strength grew, I claimed the scripture more as a promise.

Again, I decided to go back and read an entire passage. What a powerful passage. Verse 25 asked us who can be compared to God? He created and named the stars. In verse 27 we are reminded that that God knows about our just claims, even when we think He is ignoring them. Then there is the theme we are familiar with. God does not grow faint or weary. Though young men eventually fall from exhaustion, if we wait on the Lord we will run tirelessly.

Both scriptures have the same theme: The power and justice of God, waiting for God, and that God doesn't desert the just. I needed to be reminded of these things. In fact, this week I have made a habit of reading both passages daily. I don't know how long I will do this. I just know that, for the moment, I need to be reminded of the themes in these verses. I feel uplifted as I read about the God who is my refuge. The verses make it easier for me to be still.

No comments: