Wednesday, February 16, 2011

CONNECTIONS

This world is an isolating place and it is often difficult to make connections with other. I attend a large church and we solve the problem of isolation and loneliness with with small groups--study groups & Sunday school classes.

I brought that same idea into my work-out program. I have little time to socialize and my time at the Wellness Center did give me an opportunity to meet new people and experience new things. Of course, working out with equipment wasn't going to afford many chances at conversation.

First, I tried out the Ai Chi class. It was a good beginners activity, relaxing, and a lot of fun, too. Eventually, I pushed myself and tried the water aerobics.

Then it came time to graduate. How was I going to make myself keep working out when I was no longer interacting with others? I really wanted to be a part of a group.

I finally figured out what could work for me. I decided to do my heaviest workouts on Tuesday and Saturday. On Thursday I would do a cardio workout (a briefer workout) and attend a healthy cooking class. That would give me a group with which to connect.

I have tried this out for a couple of weeks and it seems to be satisfying--so far. I enjoy the work-outs, the class, and when I go to work on Fridays my co-workers want copies of the recipes.

Ecclesiastes says that a three cord rope is not easily broken. So true.

No comments: