Wednesday, August 8, 2012

THE RIGHT MATERIALS


Well, I hit a snag.  My son's computer has Microsoft Work instead of Word.  When my publisher sent a file and I opened it in Work, the file corrupted.  Sigh.  This is not the first time that it happened, but it took almost all day to finish that document.  I have been without a computer for over a year.  It is time I get the right materials for the job.

I gathered all the gift certificates I have been collecting for over a year and put them together.  Then I waited for Tennessee's school tax free weekend to make my purchase.  One weekend a year a list of school supplies, including certain computers, can be purchased tax free.

Finally, I made a list.  What was I looking for in this purchase?  1) I desperately needed a portable computer, something that would fit in my purse or bag.  At the same time, I wanted a computer with a traditional keyboard, not one of those touch screen thingies. 2) I wanted a computer that would allow me to download Kindle style books.  3) I needed Microsoft Word.  I was tired of corrupted files.  4) I was on a budget.  I needed a computer that was economical.

It seemed too much to ask.  I certainly didn't want to compromise on any of the first 3 on my list.  If I got all three of those, I doubted I would be able to keep #4.  I was about to give up and settle for a Kindle.  On my way to the register, I walked past a little Gateway laptop with a 12 inch screen.  It is so cute and fits in my oversize purse.

What did I learn?  When shopping for a computer, know what you want and don't compromise.

Now I have to redo that file and get it to the publisher before Monday.


No comments: