Tuesday, August 14, 2012

KINDLE COLLECTION


In my last blog, I posted about my new computer, its size, and its usefulness.  Since my next 3 books will come out in ebook form, I needed a method for reading them.  For this reason I went to the Kindle For Computer link and downloaded Kindle onto my portable computer.

My Kindle application came with 4 books.  I immediately erased 3 of them.  I will probably never read the 4th, but it is such a classic, I kept it all the same.  As I searched a variety of sites, I found that I had a bookstore at my fingertips.  From my home I could now download almost any classic or public domain book for a matter of pennies and in most cases free of charge.  After reading, I could even delete it if I wanted.  Why would I ever go to a library again?

The newest best seller could now be purchased for 1/2 the price of a hardcover or paperback book and begin reading it in a matter of seconds.  Each page is crisp.  You can control the color of the paper (bright or dim) and even control the size of the print--great for someone with eyestrain.

The big jackpot for a cheapskate like me--many of the newer books are free, too.  If an author is trying to create a buzz about a new book, especially the 2nd or 3rd in a series, the first book is, at least for awhile, offered free of charge.  There are several services that will email you about Amazon and Kindle discounts.  Yesterday, I downloaded a book by Jerry Jenkins and Linda Goodnight,both well-known authors who have free book offers. 

I have heard of people who have collected hundreds of books on their Kindle in a very short time.  So far, I am being picky.  In a week's time I have only collected about 10, but I have been deleting the ones I don't like as well as keeping the ones I do.

I do miss turning the pages of a real book, but at least these don't get frayed.  I used to like the smell of the pulpy books, but lately I have become more sensitive to book mustiness.  I am sure I will always love the feel of a hardback in my hands, but ebooks have their place, too.

Here is where you can find the Kindle download:  www.amazon.com/gp/kindle/pc/download/




No comments: