Tuesday, May 31, 2011

CHALLENGES


I have been very neglectful of things these past three weeks, or so. Life sometimes becomes full of stuff that has to be done.


For about a week I felt tethered to my home due to the flooding Mississippi River. I don't live on the river, but on one of the tributaries. When the Mississippi rose above the flood stage, tributaries began flowing backwards--a sight that will cause the heart to race! Compounding this was the fact that many of the tributaries were all ready flooded from the same storm system that brought tornadoes through Alabama.

Mine is an old '70s style home and a sump pump keeps rising water out of crawl spaces and out of the house. This pump has to be constantly monitored during emergencies like this.

A week later I was hit with a new emergency--the serious illness of a family member. I was spending much of my after work time sitting with an ill relative. That can be stressful. Did I do the right thing? What if?

Then there was the end-of-the-school-year chores and the transition involved.

These challenges have kept me from two things that I truly enjoy, 1)writing--including blogging, and 2) working out at the Wellness Center. My body and spirit are both showing the neglect.

--But our challenges make us who we are. The flood waters have receded and my family photos are back on the mantle over the fireplace. The relative I sat with appears to be stronger. My students are enjoying their summer vacation and I am working at a day camp. In fact, I am writing this during nap time. Yah!

Perhaps the challenges have subsided--for awhile.

Please feel free to share a challenge you have faced and what, if any, benefits resulted.


No comments: