Wednesday, April 1, 2015

THE OTHER SIDE



Sometimes we only see one side of a person and never think about the depth of character or talents that person might possess. This week I was reminded of that, in a very real way.

I work at a lot of different schools and I've become acquainted with many professionals from each. There is a teacher at one school that always seemed to say things that I find annoying. I'm not sure why, but this man really got on my nerves.

Last week I was assigned to share a classroom with him. I knew we would spend the entire afternoon together in close quarters. What if he found me as irritating as I thought he was? We would drive each other crazy.

As it turns out, watching this person teach a classroom of students was a pleasure. He absolutely had a gift for working with children and interacted with them effortlessly. He had a strategy in mind to encourage good behavior and taught difficult concepts in a new way. I couldn't help but be impresses.

Despite his quirkiness, this teacher was an absolute professional. I had a new respect for this man.

I need to remember that we all have hidden talents. We all deserve respect.

No comments: