Monday, October 8, 2012

READING EVERYTHING


People frequently tell me that they have always wanted to be published.  They have a story to tell, but just haven't had the time to get around to writing it.

At one time, being a published writer was a very difficult task.  A person had to research a magazine and know how to slant the story for a specific publication.  To have a book published was even closer to impossible.  Many publishing companies had their stable of writers.  Others had formulas or specific kinds of books that they wished to risk their funds to publish.  A new guy--especially one without an agent--didn't have a chance.

Now things are changing.  POD companies, ebooks, and Amazon have drastically changed the market.  More independent companies and self-publishing companies have emerged.  More people are getting a chance to become a published author.  That can be both good and bad.

A writer should always strive to improve his craft.  Part of improving your skill as a writer is reading the works of others.  At one time I was an English major.  I read and studied the works of the great writers.  What I didn't realize was that I could also learn from those whose writing leave something to be desired.

You see, I have developed the hobby of downloading ebooks.  Some are very entertaining.  Others aren't so great.  Before deleting a book I really dislike, I try to analyze why the book doesn't work for me.  Then I ask myself if I tend to make the same mistake.  For example, last week I read a book where an important character was killed in chapter two.  The murder left me emotionless.  The author had not made me like--or dislike her.  She was not real to me.  Her death was no great loss.  Neither was the book when I deleted it.  I realized I must make my characters real, or my books will be deleted also.

Who knew I could learn from reading bad books.

No comments: