Sunday, November 7, 2010

Seeing Clearly--Part 1


Remember the old Credence song, I Can See Clearly Now?

I've been people watching lately. I hadn't meant to do it, but I guess I have been looking for inspiration. Something about seasonal changes cause me to pause and assess what is going on around me. I have pondered the way people accept or reject change and the consequences of those decisions. I have also thought about how others have influenced change in me. Today I would like to post about a couple of positive examples.

1) I remember when I was new at The Wellness Center and thought about walking the track. I was around people who worked out regularly, and was intimidated. Everyone on the second floor would see me and know how out of shape I was. My inner voice said that people would all know that I might only be able to walk 1/2 a mile or maybe only 1/4. How humiliating. I was so embarrassed that I practices walking my block the week before the intake so I wouldn't make such a poor showing.

Then I met a trainer for my intake evaluation and began to walk the track. Right in front of me was an elderly woman bent over a cane, walking laps. She would take a step or two, then move her cane forward. Then she would take another step or two.

I felt overwhelmed. This woman had the courage I seemed to lack. From that day on, whenever I have been asked by an instructor to do anything I didn't want to do--because of embarrassment alone, I remember that lady, slowly walking the track with her cane.

2) Teen-agers (even the very best of them) are egocentric by nature. That is not a judgment, but merely an observation.

We have a new student this year, from the country of Yemen. I heard from one of his teachers that he fasts twice a week and I was intrigued by this. Teen-agers are frequently known for a lack of discipline. When I asked the details of his fast, the boy grinned with pride and explained that he fasts twice a week because Mohammad fasted twice a week and he wanted to be like that.

There was something in the boy's eyes that impressed me. If he could be that disciplined, why couldn't I? I know that discipline isn't the only reason for a fast. It's more complicated than that, but still, it might be something that I would consider.

I have made drastic changes in the past few years. The changes have been necessary for my survival. As I have made these changes I have looked to others for inspiration.

Next week I will write about those who have insisted on doing the same thing the same way for as long as they can remember. Their situations aren't faring so well. What can we learn from them?



No comments: