Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Racism Hurts

I work in the city. That makes me a minority. Functioning as a subculture is stressful.

When I was a school teacher I was surprised that a parent would be quick to believe outlandish stories that problem children would invent. Just before report card time, children often said just about anything to discredit me. I was fortunate enough to work at a school that had video cameras to prove my innocence. Still, it always bothered me that parents were so quick to believe the accusations.

I work at a daycare center right now and spend hours attending to precious infants. The ratio, by law, is 4 children per adult, so I am seldom in the room without another staff person. It usually doesn't bother me that many of the parents ignore my presence and speak only to the other staff person. I just let it slide and continue to care for the babies.

--But last week I wasn't so cool about things. I had grown attached to a very inquisitive, active baby, not yet a year old. I understood that she needed a little extra love because her active nature tried the patients of others. The only thing that slows her down is illness and she was often sick. This little girl and I bonded.

I learned that Katura was going to attend a new daycare center. I felt the change would be good for her, but would still miss that big smile that greeted me every morning.

Katura's last day arrived and she was sick. She slept through the morning but woke around 12:00. I rocked her most of the afternoon until I was transferred to work in the school-age classroom. Fortunately, I caught sight of Katura's mom.

"Please bring Katura to me so I can tell her good-bye," I asked. In fact, I asked her twice. Mom promised to bring her little girl to my room to say bye.

I waited and waited and waited. When I went to the nursery, the family was gone. I was left feeling embarrased and hurt in front of all my co-workers.

I wept that night and a few times since. Why couldn't this woman believe that I sincerely cared for her child? Would she have treated me differently if we had both been the same color? Only God knows.



No comments: