Saturday, April 4, 2009

Two Types of People

As many of you know, my ex-husband, Adam's dad, died from lung and liver cancer. We both spent time with him during his last two months of life. Naturally, these trips were filled with emotions, but one thing really struck me. My ex. sure had a lot of devoted friends in Murfreesboro. He was not connected to any church. All his friends were people he once worked with. They all kept in touch with each other, even after many were laid-off.

That got me to thinking about my own lay-off. Once I and other teachers were laid-off, it ended our relationships. I was so disappointed that fellow teachers no longer returned my calls--or even e-mails. After all, it was a Christian school. I hoped that maybe I had built relationships with the staff, but time told the true story.

How had Frank managed to keep up a relationship with his co-workers? I have a theory. Some people work on assembly lines while others work in cubicles. People who are separated by walls or particians just don't develop the same kinds of relationships as those who struggle, side by side, to achieve a goal.

I have worked at many schools and have worked at several restaurants and can tell you that I forged much closer relationships with restaurant workers than with teachers. We had to work together to feed a crowd at a restaurant, but were isolated in a classroom when it came to teaching.

I'm not saying that there aren't people who care for me. When I went through my own battle with cancer many people showed me great kindness. I had my family, friends from church, and even co-workers. At the time, I worked at a library--no walls.

It is sad to think that many of us, without knowing it, have chosen careers where we will spend 8 hours a day in a sort of isolation. We will sit through meaningless "team building" staff meetings but will never really act like a team.

I guess it is important to seek friendship, a support system, elsewhere. No one should have to face life alone.

2 comments:

Billy Coffey said...

This is so true. It seems as though we're all a little disconnected from one another these days. We all have our own worries and cares and our own lives to live. Sometimes, I think, we're a little leery of expanding our own circle for fear of adding to our own problems.

But how much we miss by not reaching out and by not allowing ourselves to be reached.

Toni Mabry said...

People do need to connect with each other. Companies used to pay a lot of money for training seminars so people would work as a team. Company sports teams and picnics were much more effective.