Saturday, March 12, 2016

BE KIND


It has been a busy few months. We have had family adjustments and illness, but life goes on. That is what I want to blog about today.

I have a job where I have to be happy all the time or at least sound happy, no matter how I feel. This pressure hit me hard about a month ago when I got some bad news. While at work, I receive a text letting me know my son would have to go through surgery.  You see, no matter how old her child becomes, a mother always worries.

My son underwent this same surgery about 10 years before and did not do well. To hear that he would undergo it again was crushing. He and his new wife would have to cancel their honeymoon trip, too. I was so sad for them and worried, too.

But life had to go on and I had to answer phones at work and sound cheery. Then I got a call from a hateful customer who yelled at me because our product couldn't fit his time line. I continued to talk calmly and professionally. He continued to be rude as if his rage could change the laws of physics and make the product assemble itself faster. I was worried about my son and he wanted to bully me into making the impossible happen.

When I hung up the phone, I took a minute to wipe away the tears before answering the next call. That hateful man taught me a great lesson.

You see, we interact with people everyday, They have lives we don't know about, lives full of complications. It is easy to speak roughly to others--because of our own hardships. Kindness is a better option. It isn't that hard; a smile, a gentle phrase, just showing good manners.

I don't want to be the bully on the phone. I hope to choose kindness.

No comments: