Saturday, September 5, 2015

DIRTY HANDS



I used to post a lot of opinions on Facebook, a lot of political stuff. I used to find articles to correct people when their sources were inaccurate. I don't do that so much anymore. Most people aren't interested in an exchange of ideas and only a few have interest in accuracy.

So why do people post about causes and political ideas on Facebook? There are probably a multitude of reasons, but the one I want to explore is this--that it is easy. It is much easier to talk about an idea or view on the Internet than to actually get one's hands dirty and doing something.

I first became aware of this fact during Hurricane Katrina. I used to frequent a message board in those days. People were all upset because "no one" was doing anything to help with the refugees. I finally posted the question, "What are you doing?"

"What are you doing," they replied, defensively.

I shared that I was a volunteer at my church. We were filling an 18 wheeler truck with supplies: water, diapers, and toiletries. I spent my Labor Day weekend trying to be a part of the solution.
 
Needless to say, a lot of people ganged up on me, after that, as people on the Internet are prone to do. It was the first time I began to examine the motives of people who say, "Someone should do something." It is sometimes a code for, "I want to be on the politically right side, but I don't want to get my hands dirty."

Here's the thing, posting an opinion is nice. It is also easy.  If you want to improve the world, you have to get off your behind, turn off the computer, and go out and do something.

Maybe you can't do something dramatic, but you can do something. Maybe you can volunteer at a senior center, a crisis center, or at one of your church's benevolence groups.

Talk is cheap--even Internet talk--work lasts. Get your hands dirty.


No comments: