Monday, May 4, 2015

BACK IN TIME


A while back, I watched an old Twilight Zone episode. The main character is going through a stressful time and his car breaks down near his home town. While stranded, he walks through the town and realizes he has also walked back in time.

I had a similar feeling a little over a week ago. My son, his fiance', and I visited a church where I had a membership on two occasions, once as a teen, and again right after I moved back into the town.

It was an unusual feeling to sit in the church with people I'd known for so many years. As a teen I was a bundle of emotions and had difficulty adjusting from the life of a military brat to the civilian world. The church was the only thing that seemed a bridge between those two worlds.

The second time I was a member of this church I was a single mother and college student. The members of the church were like an extended family and positive role models for my son.

Both periods of time ran through my mind as I sat in the pew. I looked for familiar faces, but sadly, others were missing.

Sometimes it is good to travel where you've been to get a clearer picture of where you are going.

No comments: